Bruce County Historical Society logo

Bruce County Historical Society

Bruce County, Ontario, Canada

Incorporated 1901 - 1915       Re-incorporated 1957

Articles from the Bruce County History Society Yearbook

Pinkerton - Glimpses Past and Present

From The Bruce County Historical Society Yearbook 1972, Page 8
By Bob Johnston
Photo provided by Bruce County Museum and Cultural Centre Archives - A2016.011 - Pinkerton - B&I - Pinkerton General Store before 1918

The following poem was quoted by Elwood Pinkerton in an article he wrote for Bruce County Historical Society’s 1972 yearbook. It evokes nostalgic memories of small town life years ago. The poem was written by Melville Johnson of California, who spent his boyhood in the village and along the river.

I Remember Pinkerton---by Melville Johnson

I remember Pinkerton when I was a little boy, where every season was filled with a local joy:

Bob-sledding on the miller’s big hill; skating on the pond behind the mill;

Exploring the bush on homemade skis, returning home with very sore knees;

Driving horses and carts, cutters and sleighs, going barefoot on the Queen’s birthdays;

Picking mushrooms and sweet wild berries, grapes, haws and puckery chokecherries;

Spotting the first robin on the hill, from the top of the Town’s old windmill;

Tasting maple syrup and taffy pulls, picking wildflowers by the armfulls;

Fishing and wishing with every strike, for the biggest bass, mullet or pike;

Swimming and punting behind the dam, competing in Scotch sports in tartan tam;

Finding lily pads and frogs galore, shopping in the one general store;

Watching the Calithumpians’ parade, drinking apple cider in the cool shade;

Attending barn-raising bee events, auction sales with their special contents;

Election returns that brought together, neighbours and friends in any weather;

Cheering our football team’s every whim, refreshing with a dip at “men’s swim”;

Supporting “Harvest Homes“ and fall fairs, joining in earnest Thanksgiving prayers;

Playing our Hallowe’en pranks each year, exciting events for boys to cheer;

Hearing the crows caw amidst Autumn leaves, and sleighbells soon after threshing the sheaves.

I remember Pinkerton, I remember Pinkerton now that I am old and gray,

As the wondrous place where I used to dream and play.


Bruce County's Big Ben

From The Bruce County Historical Society Yearbook 1968, Pages 12 - 13
Adapted by Bob Johnston from the original article written by Marion McGillivray
Peter Bartleman's Brant Township homestead near Maple Hill

Unusual innovations and contrivances have always been legion on Western Ontario farms. None has been more unique than the famous clock tower which for years surmounted the barn on the old Bartleman farm near Maple Hill, between Hanover and Walkerton. During the years it was standing, hundreds of people visited the place and climbed up into the tower to see the clock mechanism and look over the surrounding countryside.

Peter Bartleman was born in Haddington, Scotland, in 1795. In Edinburgh he learned the trade of building waterwheels for mills. In 1822 he sailed for Canada, bringing with him a set of bagpipes made of walnut with bone furls, that he had made. After a six-week voyage in a sailing vessel, the family first arrived in Bytown (Ottawa) and later, in 1855, moved to about two miles from Walkerton.

Even yet Mr. Bartleman is remembered in the Walkerton area for his mechanical ability. The furniture for his own home and the homes of his children was made by him. The bureaus were of cherry wood, inlaid with sumac. His masterpiece, however, was the huge clock he designed, created and had installed in the tower of his barn. It was known as Haddington Tower in memory of his Scottish birthplace, was of considerable height and eight or ten feet square. It was painted white and surmounted by a weathervane. The dial of this clock was five or six feet in diameter and faced the Durham Road, now a Provincial highway. The minute hand was painted red while the hour hand was black.

The clock was operated by a sixty pound weight and was wound up every night. It did not strike the hours but kept excellent time. The massive clock was reached by three ladders. In the room which contained the tower, Mr. Bartleman placed some furniture, including a couch where he could rest after mounting the ladders each day. Great was the delight of his grandchildren when they were allowed to accompany him to his private domain.

The clock remained one of the district’s best-known landmarks for 40 years, long after its builder passed away in 1881. During that long period it told the time to countless passers-by. The supports of the tower gradually became weakened and during a terrific wind and rain storm in 1912 it crashed to the ground.

Carrick School Days - Part Two

From The Bruce County Historical Society Yearbook 1987, Pages 42 - 45
Adapted by Bob Johnston from the original article written by Elizabeth Polfuss
S. S. No. 2 Carrick Otter Creek School about 1915

It was once suggested to Elizabeth Polfuss that she write something about her memories of school days in Carrick Township. These are some more of those memories.

Life in Otter Creek School, S.S. #2 in Carrick around 1915 was quite different from today. My reminiscences of the school, situated on the banks of Otter Creek, a tributary of the Saugeen River, were very happy ones. The Otter Creek Flour and Grist Mill was situated across the road from our school and many times we rode home sitting on top of bags of “chop,” quite different from riding home in a school bus.

Arbour Day was celebrated on the first Friday in May. We planted flower beds, raked the school yard — a general outdoor cleanup. A mill pond was situated nearby and sometimes we went for walks along its banks, learning the names of wildflowers, weeds and insects. All this helped us with the preparation of our individual exhibits for the Rural School fair held in Mildmay in September.

Christmas concerts were always a very important part of the school year and enjoyed by the whole community. Our school had a platform at one end about a foot higher than the rest of the room. There stood the teacher’s desk, and now at one side stood a beautifully decorated Christmas tree. Candles were fastened on the ends of the branches and very carefully lit. Only once did the tree catch on fire, and was quickly put out by the chairman of the concert (always Mr. Thomas Jasper.) The concert was made up of songs, accompanied by organ playing, recitations, dialogues and dances. I once did a recitation requiring at least a dozen dolls, including my very precious two foot doll with a china head and movable joints.

We were very proud of our school. Life was not easy then but we were taught to give our best, and to respect the teacher. Those days were happy times for all of us.

Carrick School Days - Part One

From The Bruce County Historical Society Yearbook 1987, Pages 42 - 45
Adapted by Bob Johnston from the original article written by Elizabeth Polfuss
S. S. No. 2 Carrick Otter Creek School about 1915

It has been suggested that I write something about memories of school days in Carrick Township. Life in Otter Creek School, S.S.# 2 Carrick, around 1915, was quite different from life in our present day schools. Memories of the school, situated on the banks of Otter Creek, a tributary of the Saugeen River, were very happy ones.

Ours was a one-room brick school. As you entered, there was a small closed-in porch, with girls entering the classroom on one side and boys on the other. We had no electricity, no running water, no indoor toilets and no pencil sharpeners. Water came from a pump in the yard and in winter, a pail was brought indoors. In those days, we bought all our own books, drawing paper, slate pencils, slates, pen, ink and pen nibs.

Heating consisted of an iron box stove which stood near the back of the room. The fire was freshly lit by someone who came early so the room would be warm by 9 o’clock. He was paid a small sum.

Recesses were spent by playing outdoors. If we were inside because of inclement weather, one of our favorite games was “wall quoits’” The last hour of the week, Friday afternoon, was a special time. That was when a good book, such as “Anne of Green Gables” was read to us by an older student or the teacher. This was war time and so some of our special time was used for sewing quilt patches for the soldiers.

Instead of grades we had classes called Primer Class, First Book Jr. and First Book Sr. and so on up to Sr. Fourth Book (grade eight.) If you could keep up with the work in the next class you were allowed to move up to that class. In this way one could easily complete the Elementary School in six years.

Getting to and from school was never considered a problem, even though some of us lived two miles away. In good weather we walked, a really enjoyable experience. Nature was our book then, as we watched and listened to robins, red-winged blackbirds, bluebirds, etc. and played in the spring rivulets, ate wild strawberries along the C.N.R. tracks which we had to cross twice daily, sometimes watching people on the passenger trains, wondering where they were going. In bad weather we were taken by our Dad, in horse-drawn sleighs or buggies. We never missed a day except for sickness. Our father was a trustee and always said the teacher would be there and so would we.

These Things I Remember

From The Bruce County Historical Society Yearbook 1968, Pages 5 - 7
Adapted by Bob Johnston from the original article written by Pauline MacInnes
Bruce Beach postcard
photo published by F. H. Leslie (1939) provided by Bruce County Museum and Cultural Centre Archives

Bruce Beach, which now extends from the 6th to the 10th concession of Huron Township, (between Kincardine and Point Clark) had its origin in 1897. That year, the annual Sunday School Picnic of Huron Presbyterian Church was held on the 24th of May at Tout’s Grove. During the afternoon, a few of the school officials took a southerly stroll along the shore. They came to a most attractive opening in the woods, surrounded by cedar, maple and pine trees and not too far from the shoreline. My sister, Margaret MacInnes, on seeing this delightful spot, exclaimed, “Wouldn’t this be an ideal camping grounds?” And so was born the historic Bruce Beach.

The following summer, my family bought a house in Kincardine, dismantled it and had it moved to a site not far from the present Bruce Beach Club house. Originally, the home was twenty feet square. The carpenters who were contracted to rebuild it wondered why we needed such a large cottage. So they cut it down to 15’ x 15’. This was just for sleeping and a cover for a rainy day. We cooked outdoors. Someone held an umbrella over my mother while she made porridge.

Many of the cottages built in subsequent years were owned by members of the clergy, who did much to provide enjoyment for all, by way of Regattas and Field Days. They did insist on a reverent regard for the Sabbath day and religious worship. Anything that might commercialize the beach was nipped in the bud. At one time the camp got the name, “The Holy City.” Religious services were held each Sunday evening in a tent furnished by James Anderson.

One Sunday, a number of these first fathers attended an afternoon service at Lurgan Church. It was a very warm day and, by the time they were returning to their respective cottages, they were carrying their socks and shoes and, with trouser legs rolled up, were wading along the edge of the water. This may have been the beginning of Sunday bathing.

In the early days, we and our belongings reached the cottage in a carry-all, driven by horses. When the carry-all was unpacked, it was returned to the livery stable in Ripley, and there at the beach we stayed for three or four weeks until it returned to take us home. But now almost every cottager owns his or her own automobile.

Year after year, as the camping season drew to a close, a day was set aside for sports. In the evening, an excellent concert of singing and recitations by the cottagers was enjoyed by all present. This programme continues to bring the season to a close with the rousing familiar chorus:

   Bruce Beach shall shine tonight, Bruce Beach shall shine,

   When the sun goes down and the moon comes up, Bruce Beach shall shine.

The Bruce Peninsula Bush Fire of 1908 - Conclusion

From The Bruce County Historical Society Yearbook 1969, Pages 20 - 25
Adapted by Bob Johnston from the original article written by Gordon F. Hepburn

After the devastation caused by the fire, we now had to prepare for winter with what we had, by saving and storing every bit of feed we could find. The cows would have to be fed as whatever diminished flow of milk they could produce would have to provide our winter food and income. The first winter after the fire, we took the cattle to the bush and cut down saplings which had escaped being burned in some secluded glen. They browsed on the fine twigs of these to assist the pressing shortage.

Spring came at last. Everyone hoped green pasture would grow up over the burned area, but this was not to be. Instead, there came a full cover crop of nothing but mulleins. These, the animals could not eat. The result was a very lean period for animals and people. That summer we had to grow large garden crops, which we children hoed from morning til night, it seemed.

Winter passed and a second spring rolled around. Great hopes for a crop of pasture were again doomed as in the place of the mulleins, came a complete crop of Canada thistles. Cattle could eat these only when the plants were very young. So passed another summer of hoeing and a bit of fence-building.

The third spring following the fire! But this was the greatest spring ever. No mulleins, no thistles, but in their place and equally dense was a crop of red raspberry bushes. These, the animals ate to their heart’s content and finally rounded out in flesh. We children picked enough for mother to preserve two hundred quarts in large sealers to store in the basement.

Now we could see the whole picture of recovery unfold. Nature, with her crop of mulleins, thistles and berry bushes, had been busy nurturing and protecting a new crop under the cover of these. Under this cover, in the fourth spring, came countless numbers of little baby trees of many species, some of which have since been cut to lumber. We now see the great waste of burned ashes and bare rock taking on new green life. So I say to all as you move into your Bruce place in the sun, please be careful with any fire in your care.

I leave two friends of mine, which I shall not soon forget; the trees I have seen born to life and Georgian Bay, which at that critical moment, literally rose up and spat in the face of the hot fire. Truly friends indeed!

The Bruce Peninsula Bush Fire of 1908 - Part 2

From The Bruce County Historical Society Yearbook 1969, Pages 20 - 25
Adapted by Bob Johnston from the original article written by Gordon F. Hepburn

I am writing this story from memory. I was five years old. The fire burned across the northerly half of Amabel Township, Albemarle, Eastnor, Lindsay, and the southerly half of St. Edmund Townships. It came from the west, starting near the Lake Huron shore and crossed to the waters of Georgian Bay. It was a hot, dry August day in 1908.

At about 11 o’clock on that morning, the smoke began to reach our farm, blotting out the bush and the sky. Our mother put wetted cloths over our faces and had us lie flat on the ground in the dooryard. We could hear timber crashing, occasionally a frenzied animal rushing madly by in the smoke. All this added to the sense of impending doom. As the heat and smoke increased until it was almost unbearable, with embers falling around, firing our clothes at times, with the ground covered with ash as a light snowfall, we began to have difficulty in breathing.

At this time a very peculiar happening took place, a freak of nature or what you will. A wave of cold air rose off the Georgian Bay, confronted the wall of fire to the west of us and rolled back the heat and smoke. As I look back to that day, it seems as if that breeze might have saved us. Soon after, the heat and smoke came down again and closed us in, but with less intensity. Shortly after this, the fire crowned over us, leaping forward as in an explosion, travelling over the clearing and catching on to the bush beyond to the east, racing toward Georgian Bay.

Now to view the damage---the loss of most of the fences, many haystacks, some buildings, many animals, and most serious, the loss of pasture for the surviving animals. Even the birds were scarce for several years after. With fences gone, grain and root crops so much needed for the winter, had to be protected from starving, roaming animals. I can remember, even at my age, having to herd our own animals, fire-driven strays and wild animals. At all costs, they must not be allowed to destroy the fodder, which would be in short supply for the coming winter.

Often we would step in hot embers as we rushed over burned areas. Our bare feet would be blistered and our mother, before putting us to bed, would rub them with grease. There were lost animals to hunt and bring home. Many animals, while running in the smoke, had plunged over the cliffs, to die on the rocks below. Now we had to prepare for winter.

The Bruce Peninsula Bush Fire of 1908 - Part 1

From The Bruce County Historical Society Yearbook 1969, Pages 20 - 25
Adapted by Bob Johnston from the original article written by Gordon F. Hepburn

I am going to try to write the story from memory. I was five years old and the memory of this fire with all its terror was so clearly emblazoned on my mind that even yet I can recall the picture in all its frightening horror and destruction.

The fire burned across half of Amabel and St.Edmund Townships and surrounding areas of the Peninsula. It came in from the west, starting near the Lake Huron shore and crossed to the waters of Georgian Bay, lying to the east. I will recall it as it was experienced by my family, one of many others who suffered the losses, dangers and setbacks which were to befall this area.

Perhaps at this point it would be well to recall the Bruce Peninsula of 1908. There was no centre road where Highway 6 is today. There was one road up the Lake Huron side and one up the Georgian Bay side, each starting at Wiarton. There were no cars then, all transportation on land being by horse-drawn vehicle. The bush for many miles of these roadways grew right up to the graveled portion, in many places forming a canopy over the head of the traveller.

Much of the clearing of land was taking place in the large Eastnor Township swamp about five miles west of our home. The bush areas, having been the scene of winter timbering operations each year, had acquired extensive coverings of dried and rotting brush on the forest floor. This became the fodder to lead and carry this fire. Thus, in August, 1908, after a prolonged period of heat and with a summer breeze freshening from the west, the fire began at the Eastnor swamp’s perimeter. At about ten o`clock in the forenoon, we noticed a rising column of smoke which quickly rolled over the whole of the western horizon.

Our parents realized this was going to be a bad fire and began to make hasty preparations to fight it and save what they could. The men rushed to remove portions of log and rail fences close to our buildings, got all animals and persons out of those structures, readied containers of water and instructed all the children to stay in one specified spot with our mother and older sister in the yard.

At about eleven o`clock the smoke began to reach us, soon blotting out the sky and surrounding bush. This was the beginning of the frightening part of the fire now bearing down on us. The sun began to fade and even it seemed now to be deserting us. Our home and the Bruce Peninsula was our whole world and it was being swallowed up and engulfed in an acrid pall of blinding smoke. The heat from this fire began to reach us.

James Warren, D.L.S., Mapped Bruce County

From The Bruce County Historical Society Yearbook 1970, Pages 47 - 49
Adapted by Bob Johnston from the original article written by Ruth Warren McBurney

James Warren was born near Acton, the youngest of six sons. As his parents had come from Inverness-shire, Scotland, Gaelic was the tongue of his early home. Even after moving to Walkerton, he and Mr. George Ross, also a Scot, took services for the Gaelic speaking people in the House of Refuge on alternating Sundays.

Father was always interested in surveyors and their work. By hard study and perseverance he earned his Provincial Land Surveyor’s Certificate in 1864. By 1875 father had followed the increasing stream of pioneers north to Kincardine. It was here he married Charlotte E. Johnstone, before moving to Walkerton. By private study and careful practice he became the skilled surveyor known and remembered throughout the County of Bruce from end to end. Later, as a Dominion Land Surveyor, he was entrusted by the Government with the work of making original surveys of wide areas of Western Canada.

Toward the end of the century, father devised the plan of using his time at home, when not out surveying, to prepare a map of Bruce County for use in schools, offices and libraries. The map, being copyrighted, is placed in the records in the British Museum in London. One of the most interesting surveys within Bruce County was that of the Townsite of Tobermory in the summer of 1901. Father must have had something of a vision of the holiday possibilities of the beautiful spot, for he planned that mother and I should spend the month of June with him there.

Little did he think, as we enjoyed it, how that spot would grow to be the holiday attraction it is today. We stayed at the boarding house across the harbour from the sawmill. What a sight to watch the men jump across the logs from the mill at meal time! Mother and I had many walks over the rocks and wooden trails while father worked. Saturday afternoon was free time, and we had many interesting side trips: Cove Island Lighthouse and the Flowerpot Island, which still attract many visitors, were among them.

To get to Tobermory, we drove with horse and buggy to Hanover, travelled by Grand Trunk Railway to Wiarton, and then by boat, The Dixon, to Tobermory.

In Walkerton, father was active in several societies. When the present Carnegie Library was opened in 1914, he was Chairman of the Board. After a busy and useful life, father died at his home in June, 1917.

Margaret Helen Brown - An Autobiography - Part 2
from Bruce County Historical Society Yearbook 1971, Pages 15 - 21
Adapted by Bob Johnston from the original article written by Margaret Helen Brown

In January 1939, I travelled by boat to Haiphong, then by train up through what is now called Vietnam (North) crossed the great mountain range - the pass is over 10,000 feet - to Kuming, capital of Yunnan province in S.W. China, to open a depot where our books could be mailed into far West China. A few months later the Japanese took over Indo-China and this route was closed - the Chinese for defense, tore up the railway on their side of the border.

While on furlough in 1941 and studying for my PhD in Union Theological College, New York, the Pearl Harbour incident occurred, entirely cutting off both Shanghai and Hong Kong from any contact with “Free China” in the far West. In that vast area of China there was no literature or magazines for children. Urgent calls came for me to return at the end of my furlough in 1942. But how? I left Toronto for China on eight hours notice. I took six months and five days to get to Chengtu, travelling to New York, then New Orleans, where I got on a Chilean boat which went through the Panama Canal and down the west coast of South America, disembarking at Valparaiso, Chile.

Then I went by train over the Andes and across Argentina to Buenos Aires where a dock strike kept me for five weeks. I then sailed on a tiny Argentine freighter to Capetown and Durban. There, I managed to get on a British troop ship---it had 5,000 troops and only 13 civilians on board. We travelled in a convoy of 31 ships to Bombay, escorted by two dreadnaughts and five destroyers. I then crossed India by train to Calcutta and arrived with Dengue fever. I was five weeks there during the worst of the Bengal famine and finally flew “The Hump” at night—the Japanese had shot down two civilian planes two weeks before. We had to fly for two-and-a-half hours over Japanese-occupied areas of Burma.

From Chungking I flew to Chengtu where we had a large mission. The big American air base was near and we had a number of bombing attacks at night. I had to start “Happy Childhood” all over again but had two of the most exciting years. Because there was no other literature for children, the Government Schools took great interest and sales soared.

Japan’s surrender came upon us almost unawares. I was lucky to get back to Shanghai in November to restart my work because the RAF gave me a free ride. I left for furlough in August 1948 and in the following May, the Communists established their “People’s Republic” in Peking. I left Hong Kong for Canada in 1956. Because of my literature work I was invited to become a member-at-large of the Women’s Inter-Church Council of Canada where I served until my retirement in 1968.

Margaret Helen Brown - An Autobiography - Part 1
from Bruce County Historical Society Yearbook 1971, Pages 15 - 21
Adapted by Bob Johnston from the original article written by Margaret Helen Brown

I have had cold feet writing about myself. It would be a sort of autobiography and may sound something like boasting. I would hate that! My life has been so full of adventure: evacuations, wars, famine, refugees, etc. that to do a short sketch would be difficult.

First of all, I have always been proud to have been born and receive my early education in Bruce County, first at Union S.S. No.3, Bruce and Kincardine, Tiverton Public School and Kincardine High School. I think walking the two and a half miles to school up the boundary in the depth of winter strengthened me to face difficulties in later life. My mother had already created in me a joy in poetry. I owe much to Mr. Perry, our principal in Kincardine H.S., who made Wordsworth live for me and become my favorite poet.

Dr. J. Lovell Murray was minister of Knox Presbyterian Church and both he and his wife left a deep impression on me. Their son, the Rev. J. Lovell Murray, left for mission work in India just when I entered high school and this deepened my interest in missions. Tiverton Presbyterian Church also had much influence on my life. I was only nine years old when Rev. Kenneth MacLennan became our pastor. He and his wife had recently returned from the Mission in Honan, China. My interest in China was deepened.

I entered Queen`s University in the autumn of 1909. My cousin Margaret Walks of Elderslie, was also at Queen`s and both of us took extra classes outside our work in the Theological College to prepare us for mission work. I was designated for work in the Honan Mission of the Presbyterian Church of Canada on July 30, 1913 in Tiverton and my cousin the next day in Paisley. We sailed on a Japanese boat for Shanghai on September 9 and arrived in Honan on October 19.

I opened the first full Primary School for girls within the old city of Hwaiking---population 30,000. After my furlough of 1920 I opened a school for married women. From 1925-27 we had our first round of Communist troubles. All missionaries had to be evacuated from the coast during those years as there was serious fighting in Honan.

The 1920`s was the War-Lord period and Honan, being half-way between Peking and Hankow, was frequently a battle ground between Northern and Southern War-Lords. I usually managed to get outside the city to the Missionary Compound before the city gates were closed, when fighting began.

Unable to get back into Honan after my 1928 furlough, I represented the Mission on the staff of the Christian Literature Society for China in Shanghai. Dr. Donald MacGillivray was Secretary General of the Society at the time. He was born on the 12th Concession of Bruce. His wife had founded “Happy Childhood” the first magazine published for children in Chinese.

Dr. Thomas Bradley

from Bruce County Historical Society Yearbook 1972, Pages 24 - 26
Adapted by Bob Johnston from the original article written by Lita Young

Dr. Thomas Bradley was a typical country doctor of the last century—busy almost beyond the limit of human strength, always on the go with his medical practice, yet finding time to be involved in municipal affairs and church activities.

Born in Ottawa in 1834, he received his medical training in Boston and began the practice of medicine in Bervie, Kincardine Township, in 1861. He married Mary McIntyre. They built a home on the McIntyre farm, Bervie Sideroad, and spent their entire married life there.

The life of a doctor was not an easy one. He always kept three or four horses, as these were needed to cover the extensive area he served. He made his trips by horse and buggy, horse and cutter, on horseback and occasionally on foot. When snowy roads made travel almost impossible, Dr. Bradley was at times as long as two days away from home. The lack of telephones in a rural community isolated him from his wife and family; thus many an anxious hour she must have experienced.

In April of 1886 the doctor delivered three babies in one night. His wife was expecting a baby when he was called to the Chadbourne home where he delivered twin daughters. Telling Mary to keep walking until he returned home, he rushed home in time to bring his own son, Maurice, into the world.

Dr. Bradley practiced in an era when medicine, not an operation, was the cure for ills. Home remedies, often suggested by the doctor were used: roasted onions, applied to the chest and soles of little feet to ease a heavy cold; a few drops of turpentine on sugar to kill worms.

Dr. Bradley was an active member of Kincardine Township Council from 1887 to 1892, and in his last year became warden of Bruce County. He served his Bervie Church for many years. The doctor was not in the habit of using the kneeling rails. On one occasion the minister announced, “Now we will kneel and pray and that goes for you too, Doctor.” His daughter, Daisy, maintained her father`s interest in his church, where she was organist for forty-four years.

To show their appreciation of the doctor, his fellow Masons presented him with a comfortable arm chair after he was confined to his home with a broken leg. As an indirect result of the accident, Dr. Bradley died in 1918, ending a life full of good works.